To paddle on the natual jewel of Trentino that is Lake Tenno is a truly incredible experience. Set in unspoilt alpine surroundings, the lake is 570 m above sea level on the slopes of Mount Misone. The thick woodlands around the lake and the white stones on the bottom are what give it is teal and turquoise hue. You feel like you are paddling on a tropical atoll!
The lake covers an area of 0.22 km² and is subject to dramatic fluctuations in water level. At the end of the rainy season in autumn, the water level can be as much as 15 metres higher than in the summer season when the little island on the lake is accessible on foot. Lake Tenno cannot be reached by car and you can get there by climbing a long flight of steps.
This lake is an oasis of calm and thanks to its crystal clear waters and warm temperature is perfect for bathing. You can also go for a pleasant stroll around the lakeshore.
6 Tips to SUP in safety
- Always find out about the winds, weather and water conditions.
- If you are planning solo sessions, always tell some where you are going and what time you are leaving. Use schools or the sup club as a base.
- It is important to know how to swim in rough water and have the right equipment and proper clothing for the weather conditions. You must use a sup board with a volume suited to your abilities and wear an CE approved personal buoyancy aid.
- Always tie on the leash; the coast or shore might be far away and in case of problems you should never abandon the sup.
- Find out about any local ordinances and ask locals for advice.
- Enjoy yourself. Sup combines a love of sport and nature and the beauty of Garda Trentino.
The information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips, hints and links
- On the way back you should stop off at the Varone waterfall, a natural ravine where the water from Lake Tenno rushes over a fall of nearly 90 metres. Further info here.
- This tour was recommended by SUP Club Riva del Garda.
- For further information about sports friendly accommodation, contact details for SUP hire, guides and useful information:
APT Garda Trentino - tel. +39 0464 554444 - firstname.lastname@example.org / www.gardatrentino.it
To get to Lake Tenno, take the state road SS 421 in the direction of Tenno / Terme di Comano / Madonna di Campiglio. About 1.5 kilometres after Ville del Monte you come to the main car park nearby the lake.
Otherwise, in Ville del Monte take the road beside Hotel Cristina following directions for the Matoni car park.
Getting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it