The tour is on the part of the lake in front of Riva del Garda. Right from the outset you get a chance to get a new perspective of the lakefront and town centre with its picturesque harbour in the shadow of the Torre Apponale. Leaving Riva at your back, head towards the rocky cliff of Rocchetta which here towers above Lake Garda. The Ponale trail, one of the best-love and most well-known hiking routes in the area, is clearly visible from the water.
Continue along beneath the rocky cliff until you come to the old Ponale harbour, once an important trading and communications hub between the Ledro valley and the Garda area. The Ponale Waterfall is hidden away in a little gorge and is one of the wildest and least frequented places in Trentino: the waterfall and its basin is only accessible from the lake, so only a fortunate few get a chance to enjoy its beauty.
7 Tips to SUP in safety
- Always find out about the winds, weather and water conditions. The lake is subject to currents and steady winds which in the afternoon can make the water rough so that sup becomes difficult for beginners.
- If you are planning solo sessions, always tell some where you are going and what time you are leaving. Use schools or the sup club as a base.
- Keep to the coast but stay 500/600m from the shore and the cliffs where there might be rock falls.
- It is important to know how to swim in rough water and have the right equipment and proper clothing for the weather conditions. You must use a sup board with a volume suited to your abilities and wear an CE approved personal buoyancy aid.
- Always tie on the leash; the coast or shore might be far away and in case of problems you should never abandon the sup.
- Find out about any local ordinances and ask locals for advice
- Enjoy yourself. Sup combines a love of sport and nature and the beauty of Garda Trentino.
The information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips, hints and links
Getting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it
The car park nearest to the point of departure is Porto San Nicolò (pay parking).
Free parking in Riva del Garda at the old hospital (via Rosmini) and the old cemetery (Viale D. Chiesa). Further pay parking at the Public Gardens Porta Orientale, Roman Baths, Viale Lutti (Ex Agraria), Monte Oro, shopping center Blue Garden.