An easy route without much elevation gain which follows the course of the River Sarca northward. The route is on cycle path and side roads and gives you a chance to enjoy the diversity of the landscape around the river. From orchards and vineyards to small towns and villages, you wind up in the Marocche, an area which has protected status because it is so unique.
If you are a nature lover and enjoy discovering all the hidden treasures of an area, this is the itinerary for you. The banks of the River Sarca are part of the Sarca River Park and here you will find educational information panels to tell you all about the history and features of the area. And the Marocche nature reserve is a treasure trove for geology and botany enthusiasts. For example, did you know that there are natural bonsais growing there? Get off your bike and stop to explore the “valleys of the Moon”(Valli della Luna)!
The Marocche di Dro are a Site of Community Importance, belonging to the Natura 2000 Network.
Rest StopRistorante Alla Lega
Ristorante Pizzeria La Piccola Dallas
Ristorante Alfio Bar Pizzeria
- Give your bike a regular checkup, especially if you've had it for years.
- Be seen: you must wear a high vis jacket (or sash) in tunnels and on country roads after sunset.
- Always wear your helmet.
- Make sure your front and rear lights are working.
- Put out your arm to give advance warning of your intention to change position and before you do anything, check there are no vehicles coming up behind you.
- Don't use headphones or your mobile phone handsfree kit: you need all your concentration on the road!
- Obey the road signs: stop at traffic lights and don't ride on the wrong side of the road.
- If you are cycling in a group, always go in single file.
- You've got a bell: use it to let pedestrians know you're there. Don't ride on footpaths. If you have to then get off and push your bike.
- If there are cycle paths use them. It's your safety that's at stake and the rules of the road say you must.
The cycle pathe in Trentino are usually closed by the local authorities from November, 15th to April, 15th. Exceptions are the cycle paths along the River Adige and in the Basso Sarca/Garda Trentino, where cycling is prohibited only in case of ice or during a snowfall.
Tips, hints and links
- The route ends at what used to be Fies hydroelectric power station. This building looks nothing like a traditional industrial building but more like a castle built to defend the river. For some years now it has been the venue for an important festival and a creative hub for contemporary art in all its forms.
- For more information on routes and bike services: rentals, workshops, shops and cycling friendly accommodation: APT Garda Trentino, Tel. +39 0464 554444 www.gardatrentino.it
Getting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it
Free parking in Caneve (5 min. walk from the town centre).
More Pay parking: Foro Boario parking, via Caproni Maini (Car park near the bridge), Post office (Via Monache).