This itinerary winds along the Sarca Valley and involves very little elevation gain. This means it really is suitable for all, even those who are not particularly fit and are looking for an easy route to enjoy a few hours on a bicycle. The landscape is very pleasant and relaxing, with the peaceful current of the River Sarca and a series of orchards along the route.
Along the river banks you will also come across educational information panels: you are in the Sarca River Park, a reserve along the entire length of the river from its source in Val Rendena to the point where it flows into Lake Garda.
Even your arrival point is in a nature reserve: the Marocche is an area which is protected because of its unique features. This post-glacial landslide, the largest in the entire Alps, is an extremely peculiar environment where you will find plants and animals that have had to adapt to these specific conditions.
The Marocche di Dro are a Site of Community Importance, belonging to the Natura 2000 Network.
Rest StopRistorante Alfio Bar Pizzeria
- Give your bike a regular checkup, especially if you've had it for years.
- Be seen: you must wear a high vis jacket (or sash) in tunnels and on country roads after sunset.
- Always wear your helmet.
- Make sure your front and rear lights are working.
- Put out your arm to give advance warning of your intention to change position and before you do anything, check there are no vehicles coming up behind you.
- Don't use headphones or your mobile phone handsfree kit: you need all your concentration on the road!
- Obey the road signs: stop at traffic lights and don't ride on the wrong side of the road.
- If you are cycling in a group, always go in single file.
- You've got a bell: use it to let pedestrians know you're there. Don't ride on footpaths. If you have to then get off and push your bike.
- If there are cycle paths use them. It's your safety that's at stake and the rules of the road say you must.
The cycle pathe in Trentino are usually closed by the local authorities from November, 15th to April, 15th. Exceptions are the cycle paths along the River Adige and in the Basso Sarca/Garda Trentino, where cycling is prohibited only in case of ice or during a snowfall.
Tips, hints and links
- The route ends at what used to be Fies hydroelectric power station. This building looks nothing like a traditional industrial building but more like a castle built to defend the river. For some years now it has been the venue for an important festival and a creative hub for contemporary art in all its forms.
- For further information on routes, activities, events and accommodation at lake Garda: APT Garda Trentino, Tel. +39 0464 554444 - www.gardatrentino.it
Getting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it
Free parking in Riva del Garda at the old hospital (via Rosmini) and the old cemetery (Viale D. Chiesa).
Pay parking at the Public Gardens Porta Orientale, Roman Baths, Viale Lutti (Ex Agraria), Monte Oro, shopping center Blue Garden.