The Mori-Torbole sul Garda cycle path is a branch of the cycle path which goes from the Brennero to Verona, the “cycle path of the sun” (Ciclopista del Sole), the Italian part of a European project which aims to build a cycle path from the North Pole to Malta.
Leaving the main route, the Mori-Lake Garda cycle path gives cyclists coming from the north easy access to the shores of the lake. From Vallagarina you climb to the San Giovanni Pass and then head down again towards the Garda basin to arrive at Torbole sul Garda. The change in the landscape as you go from one valley to the other, from the vineyards of the Valle dell'Adige to the naturereserve of Lake Loppio and then the northern shore of Lake Garda surrounded by sheer mountains.
The cycle path does not present any particular difficulties – apart from the ascent to the San Giovanni Pass (287 m) and is suitable for anyone who is used to getting around by bicycle.
Rest StopLa Terrazza
Al Fortino Bike Bar & Food
Caffè Ristorante Pizzeria Casa Beust
Ristorante La Terrazza
- Give your bike a regular checkup, especially if you've had it for years.
- Be seen: you must wear a high vis jacket (or sash) in tunnels and on country roads after sunset.
- Always wear your helmet.
- Make sure your front and rear lights are working.
- Put out your arm to give advance warning of your intention to change position and before you do anything, check there are no vehicles coming up behind you.
- Don't use headphones or your mobile phone handsfree kit: you need all your concentration on the road!
- Obey the road signs: stop at traffic lights and don't ride on the wrong side of the road.
- If you are cycling in a group, always go in single file.
- You've got a bell: use it to let pedestrians know you're there. Don't ride on footpaths. If you have to then get off and push your bike.
- If there are cycle paths use them. It's your safety that's at stake and the rules of the road say you must.
The cycle pathe in Trentino are usually closed by the local authorities from November, 15th to April, 15th. Exceptions are the cycle paths along the River Adige and in the Basso Sarca/Garda Trentino, where cycling is prohibited only in case of ice or during a snowfall.
Tips, hints and links
- Lake Loppio is actually the lake that isn't there. Following the work on the Adige – Garda tunnel (a water conduit to be used if the river floods to detour the waters towards Lake Garda), the lake emptied and became, over time, the largest marshland area in all of Trentino. Today it is a protected area, because of the particular environment which developed in the area.
- For further information on routes, activities, events and accommodation at lake Garda: APT Garda Trentino, Tel. +39 0464 554444 - www.gardatrentino.it
Mori is easily accessible from the Rovereto Sud - Lago di Garda Nord exit on the motorway Autostrada del Brennero A22 (in the direction of Riva del Garda).
For directions on how to reach the Mori-Lake Garda cycle path by bicycle from Rovereto we recommend the cycling map from the tourist board of Rovereto.
ParkingParking space close to the train station of Mori and in the centre of Mori
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
Riding your bike requires specific clothing and equipment, even for relatively short and easy trips. It is always better to be prepared… e.g. for bad weather or a drop your energy levels. The unexpected things also make up a part of the fun!
Remember to thoroughly evaluate the type of route you plan to do, the locations you plan to cross and the current season. Has it been raining? Attention: The paths may be slippery and require more caution.