The Mori-Torbole sul Garda cycle path is a branch of the cycle path which goes from the Brennero to Verona, the “cycle path of the sun”(Ciclopista del Sole), the Italian part of a European project which aims to build a cycle path from the North Pole to Malta.
Leaving the main route, the Mori-Lake Garda cycle path gives cyclists coming from the north easy access to the shores of the lake. From Vallagarina you climb to the San Giovanni Pass and then head down again towards the Garda basin to arrive at Torbole sul Garda. The change in the landscape as you go from one valley to the other, from the vineyards of the Valle dell'Adige to the nature reserve of Lake Loppio and then the northern shore of Lake Garda surrounded by sheer mountains.
The cycle path does not present any particular difficulties – apart from the ascent to the San Giovanni Pass (287 m) and is suitable for anyone who is used to getting around by bicycle.
Rest StopAl Fortino Bike Bar & Food
Caffè Ristorante Pizzeria Casa Beust
L’Ora - San Nicolò (Ristorante-Pizzeria-Gelateria)
- Give your bike a regular checkup, especially if you've had it for years.
- Be seen: you must wear a high vis jacket (or sash) in tunnels and on country roads after sunset.
- Always wear your helmet.
- Make sure your front and rear lights are working.
- Put out your arm to give advance warning of your intention to change position and before you do anything, check there are no vehicles coming up behind you.
- Don't use headphones or your mobile phone handsfree kit: you need all your concentration on the road!
- Obey the road signs: stop at traffic lights and don't ride on the wrong side of the road.
- If you are cycling in a group, always go in single file.
- You've got a bell: use it to let pedestrians know you're there. Don't ride on footpaths. If you have to then get off and push your bike.
- If there are cycle paths use them. It's your safety that's at stake and the rules of the road say you must.
- Between the San Giovanni pass and Torbole, in the afternoon, you need to watch out for the Ora, a regular wind which blows quite strong from the south.
- The cycle pathe in Trentino are usually closed by the local authorities from November, 15th to April, 15th. Exceptions are the cycle paths along the River Adige and in the Basso Sarca/Garda Trentino, where cycling is prohibited only in case of ice or during a snowfall.
The information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips, hints and links
- In the stretch along the shores of Lake Loppio, the cycle track runs on what was once the MAR, the Mori-Arco-Riva railway, which was active from 1891 to 1936. In particular, beyond the woods on the lake shore, you come to a high wall which once supported the railway track.
- For more information on routes and bike services: rentals, workshops, shops and cycling friendly accommodation:
APT Garda Trentino, Tel. +39 0464 554444 www.gardatrentino.it
Getting to northern Lake Garda / Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it