Easy walk around Lake Tenno and as far as Canale, a medieval village belonging to the club of the Most Beautiful Villages of Italy.
This walks touches on two points of particular interest in Garda Trentino: Lake Tenno, one of the most pristine lakes in all of Italy, and the nearby medieval village of Canale di Tenno, where time seems to have stood still. This is a very easy trek without any serious elevation gain, a walk suited to everyone.
Lake Tenno is famed for the colour of its water which varies from turquoise to emerald green according to the season. It is safe to swim in the lake and it is a popular destination in summer for people who just want to relax on the rocky beaches.
The Tenno area is part of the nature reserve of the UNESCO Biosphere "Alpi Ledrensi e Judicaria", a prestigious award which identifies environments with a rich biodiversity and history which have been developed while maintain strong links between the area, tourism, farming and tradition.
Rest StopCanale di Tenno medieval village
Safety informationThe information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips, hints and links
- In Canale it is well worth paying a visit to la Casa degli Artisti . The Artists' House was founded in the Sixties to offer hospitality to artists in search of inspiration and these would then leave one of their works in payment for bed and board. Today it hosts a number of different exhibitions from Easter to Christmas.
- The nearby Museo degli Attrezzi Agricoli or Museum of Tools, was founded by a local association and has a collection of tools and implements regularly used by the inhabitants of the village up until the 1970s.
- In August, Canale hosts Rustico Medioevo, a medieval festival which had its first edition in 1986. Different shows take the stage every evening and the kitchen run by volunteers offers typical Trento dishes. You simply must try polenta with peverada! For information on dates and the programme, go to www.gardatrentino.it
For more information on routes and hike services: guides, shops and hiking friendly accommodation:
APT Garda Trentino, Tel. +39 0464 554444 www.gardatrentino.it
Getting thereLake Tenno is about 12 km from Riva del Garda and you can get there by taking the road strada provinciale 37, passing through Deva and Pranzo. Another option is by the road strada statale 421 for Tenno.
ParkingPay parking at Lake Tenno
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
You need to be wearing the right clothing and take the proper gear when you go hiking in the mountains. Even on relatively short easy outings make sure to take all you need so you don't run into trouble if things take an unexpected turn, for example a storm blows up or you have a sudden drop in energy levels.
What should you take when you go on a hike?
What you should have in your rucksack (for a day trip a 25/30L capacity should do):
- water canteen (1L)
- snacks (e.g. mixed dried fruit or chocolate)
- First aid kit
- windproof jacket
- change of t-shirt and socks (in a plastic bag)
- make sure to wear or at least bring a pair of long trousers
- sun screen
- whistle to attract attention in an emergency
- emergency telephone number Mountain Rescue 112
Make sure you're wearing the right footwear for the trail and season. The going can get rough and rocky underfoot and a pair of hiking boots will protect you from sprains.
When wet, a grassy slope, rocky slab or steep trail can be dangerous unless you are wearing the proper footwear.
And finally... ... don't forget to bring your camera! You'll need it to capture the stunning views you come across all over Garda Trentino. And if you like, you can share your memories with us at #GardaTrentino.