After climbing Monte Biaina, between Valle Lomasona Valle del Sarca, this trail takes us back down to the valley again, a gradual descent to the River Sarca at the picturesque Roman bridge of Ceniga.
This is a moderately difficult hike and gives you a chance to catch your breath and enjoy the landscape of Garda Trentino after the first 2 more challenging stages. While you walk in the wood you can clearly see the landscape around you change as you proceed: leaving firs and beech trees, you will meet olive trees and orchards as you approach the end of the stage.
The only uphill stretch of this stage will take you to the top of Monte Biaina, with its peak cross: a great lookout point above northern lake Garda. The trail then leads to San Giovanni al Monte: this is where the people of Arco traditionally had their mountain cottages among the woods and meadows.
Anybody who is looking for somewhere to stop off and enjoy some local Trentino specialities is advised to take at break at Malga San Giovanni.
Rest StopRistoro San Giovanni
MONTE CALINO "SAN PIETRO"
This trek presents no particular technical difficulties and requires you to be reasonably fit. Make sure to have footwear and clothing suited to mid-mountain terrain. Recommended from April to mid-October.
The information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips, hints and links
- For accommodation in Ceniga and surroundings take a look at the website www.gardatrentino.it.
- If you would like to finish the trek before you get to Ceniga: from the cross Croce di Bondiga turn onto SAT 409. After a descent through the woods, the trail comes out on a forestry road which leads to a paved road: follow this until you come to the town of Varignano. Here there is a bus stop served by the urban transport of the Basso Sarca or lower Sarca Valley which will take you back to Riva del Garda (Bus timetable information on: www.gardatrentino.it)
- For more information on routes and hike services: guides, shops and hiking friendly accommodation: APT Garda Trentino, Tel. +39 0464 554444 www.gardatrentino.it
Getting to the mountain hut Rifugio San Pietro:
- from Ville del Monte 556 metres a.s.l. (hamlet of Sant'Antonio) on trail 406 which passes through Canale 598 m, Case Bastiani 854 m and leads to the mountain hut – 1h 30
- from Gavazzo Nuova 201 m, on the trail Sentiero di Gola (trail 401) passing through Tenno 427 m - 2h 15
- from Malga Lomasona pasture 536 m (road from Dasindo) on trail 410 to Sella del Calino 966 m and themountain hut – 2h
Getting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it
ParkingNo parking possibility for this stage
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
The trek proposed here does not have bolted routes or via ferratas, and so there is no need for helmets, harness or rope. However, considering how physically demanding the route is, the length of the stages and the presence of some exposed stretches, this type of trek is only recommended for people who are very fit, who have a good sense of direction and who are used to hiking in a mountain environment.
GardaTrek requires you to have standard hiking equipment for alpine terrain and we suggest you also bring a wind and waterproof jacket and fleece in case of bad weather, a torch, a change of underwear, sunglasses and sunscreen, a water canteen and snacks.