This hike gives you the chance to explore the face of Monte Baldo where the hut Rifugio Damiano Chiesa is situated. The area is extremely popular with hikers who can enjoy the local flora, spectacular panoramas and finally wind up with some hearty local food when they get to the hut.
This trek is through the Monte Baldo Local Nature Reserve, a protected area notable for its exceptional biodiversity. Monte Baldo has been renowned for its extraordinary variety of plants and flowers since the 15th century when it was known as the “Garden of Europe”
All around the mountain hut Rifugio Damiano Chiesa there are still remains of tunnels and trenches dating back to the Great War. This outpost was taken by the Italian army without any bloodshed in the early stages of the war and became the front line of the Italian Front and an important observation point over the Alto Garda area
Do not miss the occasion to taste the typical food of the Rifugio D. Chiesa on the top of Monte Altissimo
Rest StopALBERGO GRAZIANI
ALTISSIMO "DAMIANO CHIESA"
Safety informationThe information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips, hints and links
- The Monte Baldo Local Nature Reserve has many hiking trails with panels providing information about the particular features of the park. A list can be found on the reserve website (English version coming soon)
- The trail SAT 601 is part of the Sentiero della Pace (or Peace Trail), a long distance trail which links the most important points along the Front during the First World War in Trentino. Further info: www.trentinograndeguerra.it
- For more information on routes and hike services: guides, shops and hiking friendly accommodation: APT Garda Trentino, Tel. +39 0464 554444 www.gardatrentino.it
Getting thereFrom Mori follow directions for Brentonico, then San Giacomo and San Valentino. From there, take the main road in the direction of Monte Baldo/Rifugio Graziani
ParkingFree car parking near Rifugio Graziani
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
You need to be wearing the right clothing and take the proper gear when you go hiking in the mountains. Even on relatively short easy outings make sure to take all you need so you don't run into trouble if things take an unexpected turn, for example a storm blows up or you have a sudden drop in energy levels.
What should you take when you go on a hike?
What you should have in your rucksack (for a day trip a 25/30L capacity should do):
- water canteen (1L)
- snacks (e.g. mixed dried fruit or chocolate)
- First aid kit
- windproof jacket
- change of t-shirt and socks (in a plastic bag)
- make sure to wear or at least bring a pair of long trousers
- sun screen
- whistle to attract attention in an emergency
- emergency telephone number: 112
Make sure you're wearing the right footwear for the trail and season. The going can get rough and rocky underfoot and a pair of hiking boots will protect you from sprains. When wet, a grassy slope, rocky slab or steep trail can be dangerous unless you are wearing the proper footwear.
... don't forget to bring your camera! You'll need it to capture the stunning views you come across all over Garda Trentino. And if you like, you can share your memories with us at #GardaTrentino.