The final stage of the GardaTrek Medium Loop runs along the eastern side of Garda Trentino and ends with a spectacular view of Lake Garda.
In particular, a stretch of the Medium Loop runs on the Busatte - Tempesta trail, one of the most popular and beloved route of Garda Trentino. Its long, iron ladders are now a distinctive mark of the landscape and the views above the lake are terrific.
Along the route, we touch on several significant points for the history of Garda Trentino, linked in particular to the theme of the Great War (see more info). The Medium Loop in fact retraces part of the front line of the First World War, where many artifacts are still visible.
The Medium Loop route is entirely signposted. However, it is advisable to pay particular attention to the section that runs from Malga Zures to the Busatte-Tempesta trail and therefore to get a good map of this area.
Safety informationThe information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips, hints and links
- This stage of the Garda Trek Medium Loop touches on some of the most important World War I sites in Garda Trentino: the “Busa dei Capitani”, the Segrom ridge and Malga Zures still have traces of the fortifications built by the Austro-Hungarian army. "Busa dei Capitani" is named for the two bas relief busts found in the ruins of a military building. One is of the Kaiser Franz Josef and the other of his heir Karl of Habsburg whose signature can be read on his bust. The Sentiero della Pace or Peace Trail runs along the Segrom ridge (numbered SAT 601). This is a long distance trail which connects major sites along the front lines of the Great War in Trentino. The Segrom fortifications were connected with the defence system of the outpost Malga Zures which marked the Austrian front line. Over the past fifteen years, the Segrom crag has become one of the most popular climbing areas in Europe with hundreds of sports climbing routes of all levels.
- The trek can be cut short if you head straight down from Nago to Torbole: for this variant we recommend you take the historic Strada Santa Lucia which was once the main road between the two towns.
- This trek can normally be done all year round, but in the winter months you might come across some snow on the way. For this reason you should check the conditions of the trail if you are thinking of doing it from November to March.
- For more information on routes and hike services: guides, shops and hiking friendly accommodation: APT Garda Trentino, Tel. +39 0464 554444 www.gardatrentino.it
Getting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it
ParkingFree parking slots available in Bolognano
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
You need to be wearing the right clothing and take the proper gear when you go hiking in the mountains. Even on relatively short easy outings make sure to take all you need so you don't run into trouble if things take an unexpected turn, for example a storm blows up or you have a sudden drop in energy levels.
What should you take when you go on a hike?
What you should have in your rucksack (for a day trip a 25/30L capacity should do):
- water canteen (1L)
- snacks (e.g. mixed dried fruit or chocolate)
- First aid kit
- windproof jacket
- change of t-shirt and socks (in a plastic bag)
- make sure to wear or at least bring a pair of long trousers
- sun screen
- whistle to attract attention in an emergency
- emergency telephone number: 112
Make sure you're wearing the right footwear for the trail and season. The going can get rough and rocky underfoot and a pair of hiking boots will protect you from sprains. When wet, a grassy slope, rocky slab or steep trail can be dangerous unless you are wearing the proper footwear.
... don't forget to bring your camera! You'll need it to capture the stunning views you come across all over Garda Trentino. And if you like, you can share your memories with us at #GardaTrentino.