4 stages hikeable all year round, from the lake shore to more than 1000 m. a.s.l., from Mediterranean vegetation to Alpine woods: one loop, all the variety of Garda Trentino!
The GardaTrek - Medium Loop starts and finishes in Riva del Garda: the hike is a loop across the mountains around the Basso Sarca, the plain of the River Sarca, and winds up and downhill so even someone who is not an experienced mountaineer but loves long walks in the mountains can enjoy all of the environments and landscapes in Garda Trentino.
The route runs halfway along paths, mule tracks and secondary roads and is entirely signposted. This is not a route that requires mountaineering techniques, but it is still necessary to have a good training.
This hiking route can normally be done all year round, but in the winter months you might come across some snow on the way. For this reason you should check the conditions of the trails if you are thinking of doing it from November to March. In this period it's advisable to check as well the opening of moutain huts and accommodation along the route, as they might be closed.
Rest StopMONTE CALINO "SAN PIETRO"
Safety informationThe information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips, hints and links
- The Medium Loop is broken up into stages which means you can enjoy different types of accommodation during the trek. The first stage finishes at the mountain hut Rifugio San Pietro where you can stay overnight and try out local culinary specialities. You can check the opening of the hut contacting directly the manager: www.rifugiosanpietro.eu
- The other stages pass through a number of places in the area where you can find accommodation to suit all tastes, from campsites to farmhouses, B&Bs or hotels. For information on where to stay and vacancies: www.gardatrentino.it
We recommend staying in one of our Outdoor Friendly members where you will find special facilities for sports lovers.
- For further information on routes and hike services as guides and shops: APT Garda Trentino, Tel. +39 0464 554444 www.gardatrentino.it
The trail SAT 402/404, the departure point for this trek, is in via Monte Oro, near the covered car park.
For information on how to get to Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it
ParkingThe nearest car park is the garage in Via Monte Oro (pay parking). There is also free parking at the old hospital in Riva del Garda (about 10 minutes on foot from the start of the trail)
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
The trail does not present any particular technical difficulties but make sure to wear proper hiking gear for the mountains. Even on relatively short easy outings make sure to take all you need so you don't run into trouble if things take an unexpected turn, for example a storm blows up or you have a sudden drop in energy levels.
What should you take when you go on a hike?
What you should have in your rucksack (for a day trip a 25/30L capacity should do):
- water canteen (1L)
- snacks (e.g. mixed dried fruit or chocolate)
- First aid kit
- windproof jacket
- change of t-shirt and socks (in a plastic bag)
- make sure to wear or at least bring a pair of long trousers
- sun screen
- whistle to attract attention in an emergency
- emergency telephone number: 112
Make sure you're wearing the right footwear for the trail and season. The going can get rough and rocky underfoot and a pair of hiking boots will protect you from sprains. When wet, a grassy slope, rocky slab or steep trail can be dangerous unless you are wearing the proper footwear.
... don't forget to bring your camera! You'll need it to capture the stunning views you come across all over Garda Trentino. And if you like, you can share your memories with us at #GardaTrentino.
- 4 Stages